Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Vernon RCMP arrest suspect in connection with robberies

By Roger Knox - Vernon Morning Star Published: July 31, 2012 10:00 AM

Vernon RCMP now have a suspect in custody in connection with a string of robberies at Vernon financial institutions. Officers from the Vernon Serious Crimes Unit took a 30-year-old man into custody Monday afternoon after he turned himself in. “The suspect in the case was identified through the photos that were posted through the media outlets,” said Vernon RCMP spokesperson Gord Molendyk. “Police then acted on a tip from the public and police inquiries for the suspect led him to attend the police office where he was arrested without incident.” Police appealed for the public’s help in identifying the suspect last week, and released photos of a suspect from the three robberies at the VantageOne Credit Union Dec. 20, Bank of Montreal on June 9 and at HSBC July 24. Police said they believed one person was responsible for all three robberies. The suspect is a Vernon resident and was slated to make an appearance in Vernon Provincial Court Tuesday. Police are recommending that he remain in custody.

No comments: