Thursday, August 03, 2006

Mayes aims to hold on to his seat

Aug 02 2006 http://www.saobserver.net/
Colin Mayes will run to keep his seat in Ottawa if opposition to the oftwood lumber agreement brings down the government. Last week the Okanagan-Shuswap MP announced he will again seek the Conservative nomination for the region in preparation for another federal election. "There is a possibility that the current minority government could fall sooner than expected," said Mayes in a July 27 press release. "With this in mind, the party wants candidates ready in all 308 ridings by this fall." Mayes explained to the Observer that his government wants to be ready in case the softwood agreement brokered between Prime Minister Stephen Harper and the U.S. government results in a non-confidence vote in the House of Commons when it resumes in September. "I hope that doesn't happen," said Mayes. "I don't think Canadians really want an election. But if we're forced into it I guess we're forced into it, and they want us to be ready." Asked whether or not supporting the agreement is worth another election, Mayes replied this will be voted on in the House. "I was asked if I would support the softwood lumber deal or not - my answer to that is I need to sit down with our minister, David Emerson and talk over the issues that I've got, understand what he's done completely and then make my decision then," said Mayes. "This deal has to be right for B.C. and I am going to make sure that my vote, when it's cast, will insure that I am voting for what's good for B.C." Only seven months ago Mayes stood among supporters in his Salmon Arm campaign office, anxiously awaiting the results of the 39th General Election. He won the riding with a majority of 44.86 per cent, with NDP candidate Alice Brown behind him at 26.68 per cent. Not yet worried over the prospect of another general election, Mayes was less confident about re-seeking the Conservative nomination. "I don't look forward to it," said Mayes. "Most people in the Shuswap know me, and I think they feel I served them well as mayor of Salmon Arm, and I've done a reasonably good job as MP, but I want a little more time to prove myself to the southern part of the valley. I really do believe that I have made some gains when I was there this past session. I just want a little more time to prove myself to others. If we go into an election in the fall, I just feel that people won't maybe have seen or appreciate what I bring to the table." One who hasn't been impressed with the MP's performance is Brown, who told the Observer she would run again if an election is called. "All those issues that I was concerned about are still there - the lack of women's voice, the lack of voice for labour, the lack of voice for people who are poor, for the person looking for affordable housing, or with a low income or who are on a disability - there is no voice for those people at all," Brown commented. Brown criticizes the Harper minority government for being willing to take on another costly election instead of seeking compromise over the softwood agreement. "I think that Harper must be feeling pretty confident," said Brown. "Every time someone gets him into a corner now he says let's make it an election issue. "With the Liberals leaderless, it would be a good time to force the issue and see if he can get a majority. "If they actually were seriously looking at what is good for the average person, then they would look at doing a little compromise with the different parties that are involved and make it work for a lot of people." But Mayes stands by his government and its accomplishments to date. And if an election occurs this fall, Mayes is betting on a Conservative majority. "I think the Liberals are huffing and puffing, but I really don't think there's going to be anything coming of it," said Mayes. "Our huffing and puffing is to show we're ready any time you want to go. I think that is where our strength is, because we are riding high in the polls, we are organized, we have money in our treasury to fight another election. So if they want to be silly -"

No comments: