Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Baumbrough up for the challenge

By RICHARD ROLKE Morning Star StaffMar 21 2007 http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/

Buffy Baumbrough isn’t concerned campaigning for the Liberals will get in the way of her duties at Vernon city hall. Baumbrough — who was selected candidate for Okanagan-Shuswap Saturday — says her activities as a city councillor will depend largely on when a federal election is called. “If there is more time, I could balance both,” she said. However, if there is an election soon and campaigning becomes onerous, she admits that she may have to take a leave of absence from council. There have some been discussions about the situation. “The mayor and council are aware of where I’m at,” said Baumbrough. “I’m sure mayor and council will let me know if I’m not pulling my weight.”

Mayor Wayne Lippert doesn’t have any immediate concerns about Baumbrough juggling both responsibilities. “I believe she will be able to handle her council business,” he said. But his preference would be that Baumbrough take a leave of absence once a federal campaign begins. “If she goes full bore on an election, it could limit her abilities and the time she has as a councillor,” said Lippert. Through ballots in Salmon Arm and Vernon, Baumbrough garnered more support Saturday than Jake Ootes and Scott Blurton. She admits she was surprised by the extent of her first-ballot victory. “All of the nominees were strong,” she said of Ootes and Blurton.

With the date of the next election not known, Baumbrough will get down to work right away. “The first step is to pull together the party and develop a strategy,” she said. “There was a lot of excitement Saturday and we need to build on that.” Among the priorities is making Okanagan-Shuswap residents aware of her and the Liberal platform. “It’s a new message and it’s important to get that out,” she said. “People need to know what (leader) Stephane Dion is talking about and what I believe in.” Baumbrough is aware of the fact that the Liberals have trailed behind the Conservatives and the NDP locally. “There’s no doubt it will be an uphill battle. But there’s a real opportunity here because things are shifting. The electorate is recognizing we need a new way,” she said.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"“The mayor and council are aware of where I’m at,” said Baumbrough. “I’m sure mayor and council will let me know if I’m not pulling my weight.”

How about letting her know now?