Thursday, September 27, 2007

Camp Tax Debate

By Pete McIntyre 107.5 KISS FM

A group that runs a kids camp will get a full tax exemption from the city of Vernon, but not without some debate.Camp Hurlburt, which is run by Trinity United Church, will be upgraded from its previous 50 percent exemption.At Monday's council meeting, Councillor Barry Beardsell accused finance committee chair Patrick Nicol of ignoring a special committee designed to examine the tax requests, and given the church favourable treatment.'You're a member of the United Chuch. That gives you a bit of a conflict right there. I've got nothing against the United Church but I want to see these things done fairly and on a logical basis. And that's the reason for the committee.' Nicol denied any conflict in response to Beardsell's accusation.'I think you're out of order on the conflict. I haven't attended that particular church for some time. I went to it when I was a child and appreciate the works they do, but I think your accusation is incorrect. I don't think, I know it is.'Nicol also defended the social benefits provided by the camp.

The John Howard Society in Vernon will also be getting a break on its city tax bill. Council approved a 100 percent exemption for the society which helps men in need.Several other groups were not as successful.The Vernon Muslim Association was denied an exemption after meeting all the requirements except for one: they don't have a fully completed structure. The Royal Canadian Legion also had its application turned down.

No comments: