Tuesday, April 12, 2016

City councillor commended

By Kate Bouey - CASTANET Apr 12, 2016 / 11:26 am
Vernon city councillor Scott Anderson was wearing another hat when he recently received a Vice Chief of the Defence Staff (VCDS) commendation. Anderson, a captain in the Canadian Armed Forces reserves, was commended for his efforts to reunite two local families with their teenage daughters in November 2014. Anderson spotted the call for help from the parents on social media, pleading for information on the whereabouts of the two girls. Trained as a public affairs officer, Anderson offered to write and issue a news release on behalf of the families. “As a parent I understood their anguish and wanted to help,” he said. “I had a skill and contacts within regional media, so I put that knowledge to work to leverage awareness of the situation. I’m very pleased that it worked out well for everyone.” The news release went out nationwide and the two teens were found in a different province and reunited with their families. “I’m proud to receive this commendation, but I don’t see my actions as in any way heroic. I simply did what anyone else in my position would do, try to help,” Anderson said. Anderson is currently a member of the Public Affairs Branch Primary Reserve and has served in the Canadian Armed Forces since 2008. The VCDS commendation is awarded to recognize deeds or activities beyond the demand of normal duty.

No comments: