Thursday, September 07, 2006

Mayes Backed By Local Conservatives














http://www.1075kiss.com/whatson/news.jsp
Colin Mayes will continue to represent the Conservative Party in the Okanagan-Shuswap.The riding's M-P for the last nine months easily held off a challenge from Coldstream resident Dean Skoreyko.The former Salmon Arm mayor captured 72 percent of the votes, including 55 percent in Vernon, and an overwhelming 90 percent in Salmon Arm.Mayes tells KISS FM, "I was quite encouraged that I carried the vote in Vernon, because I don't live in Vernon. I knew I was going to do well in Salmon Arm. I've spent a lot of time in Vernon and made a lot of connections with people and I'm accepted in Vernon as their M-P."Mayes feels his politicial experience, as a former mayor and as the M-P, was the difference.Skoreyko accepted the defeat but admitted getting 28 percent was disappointing."It was a little surprising. A lot of my support is younger people who were gone for the summer, and now we're talking about the first day of school. They're running around doing that. They're working so its difficult to bring people out."It's the second time Skoreyko has finished second to Mayes for the nomination.

1,235 party members were eligible to vote and voter turnout was 57 percent.(Pete McIntyre Sept 8)

----------Vote Count-----------------
In Vernon: 364 ballots cast: 199 Mayes, 165 Skoreyko
In Salmon Arm: 341 ballots cast: 307 Mayes, 34 Skoreyko
Total: 705 ballots: 506 Mayes, 199 Skoreyko

No comments: