Thursday, October 05, 2006

Mayes Can't Help Schubert

http://www.1075kiss.com/news/headlines/
The local MP is firing back after being accused of not coming to the assistance of Vernon's senior's facility. Schubert Centre president John Piovesan says he was misled by Colin Mayes over efforts to get the non-profit facility exempted from having to charge G-S-T on meals, memberships and recreational activities. Mayes says he has looked into the concerns and there's nothing that can be done. He tells Kiss FM,'Unless the government were to change the Act he's going to have to carry on charging GST on items. You know I really feel badly that that is the fact but everybody is treated the same.' Mayes says he takes exception to Piovesan's comment. " Yes, I'm very disapointed because you never reach a good conclusion by being confrontational. I just feel his remarks are not warrented. I'm here doing my best to try and help my constituents." Operators say the Schubert is the first seniors centre in B-C to have to charge the GST. It costs the facility up to $25,000 a year.

No comments: