Sunday, July 15, 2007

MP office loses assistant

By RICHARD ROLKE Morning Star Staff Jul 15 2007

There’s been a major change within Colin Mayes’ MP office. Terri Jones has stepped down as Mayes’ executive assistant. “I decided that politics isn’t my career choice,” said Jones, who has been with Mayes since 2006. “I enjoyed working with Colin but it’s not my career choice. I’m used to making things happen myself and in government, you need approval and you have to wait for approval.” There has been considerable turmoil between Mayes and some local Conservative members within the past year, but Jones says that played no role in her decision to leave. “They (riding association) have a great board of directors,” she said.

Mayes has nothing but strong praise for Jones. “Terri did a great job,” he said when contacted by The Morning Star. “I’m disappointed she didn’t stay but I understand the challenges of the job. She’s used to projects where you can follow through on things and not deal with ministers and bureaucrats.” Mayes has not launched a process to replace Jones and will utilize the remaining two employees in his local office. “We will work through the summer that way and see what the workload is. We won’t make any decisions until the fall,” he said. Jones will take the summer off and has no firm plans yet. “I’m looking at going into business for myself,” she said.

No comments: