Monday, March 10, 2008

N.Y. governor Spitzer apologizes after reports of ties to prostitution ring

CBC

New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer admitted Monday that he acted in a way that violated the trust of his family and the public after news broke that he had links to a high-priced prostitution ring. The New York Times first reported on the story on Monday afternoon, citing one of Spitzer's officials.Spitzer did not elaborate on details about the prostitution ring and his involvement, speaking only briefly before exiting a press conference in New York City. "I have acted in a way that violates my obligations to my family," he said. "I apologize first and most importantly to my family. I apologize to public [to whom] I promised better," said Spitzer. "I failed to live up to the standard that I expected of myself," he said. "I must now dedicate some time to regain the trust of my family."

The Times reported that federal prosecutors in Manhattan filed conspiracy charges last week against four people, accusing them of running a prostitution ring that had wealthy clients in Europe and the U.S. Officials with Spitzer's administration did not confirm to the newspaper whether the 48-year-old governor was connected to the case reported in the Times. Spitzer began his first term as governor on Jan. 1, 2007. During his election campaign, he vowed to clean up corruption in Albany. Before that, he served for eight years as attorney general of New York. He became a national figure for his involvement in landmark cases seeking to protect investors, consumers and low-income workers, according to his election website. In his role as attorney general, he also prosecuted at least two prostitution rings, according to the Times. He was best known for his investigations into Wall Street crimes, such as bid rigging and other fraudulent practices, Spitzer's website says.

No comments: